Interviewing can be a bit scary. Sometimes it can make you nervous. If you are prepared and practice, you can excel in the skill of interviewing.
Job Interviewing Handout click here
Before your Interview
- Know your current career trends of your chosen field. Look at the employers website, newsletters, and advertisements.
- Research the job before you interview. This will make it easier for you to answer questions during the interview. Become familiar with the mission and vision of the organization. Connect this with why you want to work for their organization.
- Write down questions that you have about the job that cannot be found online or in any printed materials.
Questions You Should & Shouldn't Answer
| Discusion Topic|| Ilegal|| Legal|
| National Origin |
- Are you a United States citizen?
- Where were you or your parents born?
- What is your native language?
- Are you authorized to work in the United States?
- What languages do you read, speak or write fluently? ( This questions is all right as long as it is relevant to the job)
- How old are you?
- When did you graduate from college?
- What is your birth date?
- What is your marital status?
- Who lives with you?
- Do you plan to have a family?
- How many children do you have?
- What are your child-care arrangements?
- Would you relocate?
- Would you be willing to travel as needed?( This question is all right as long as it is relevant to the job)
- This job requires overtime occasionally. Would you be able and willing to work overtime as necessary? This questions is all right as long as it is relevant to the job)
- To what clubs or social organizations do you belong?
- Do you belong to any groups that are relevant to your ability to perform this job?
- How tall are you?
- How much do you weigh?
- Are you able to lift a 50-pound weight and carry it 100 years, which is part of the job?
- Do you have any disabilities?
- Have you had any recent or past illnesses or operations?
- What was the date of your last physical exam?
- How is your family's health?
- When did you lose your eyesight?How?
- Can you perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations? ( This question is acceptable if the interviewer thoroughly described the job)
| Arrest Record|
- Have you ever been arrested?
- Have you ever been convicted of [ fill in the blank]? ( The crime must be reasonably related to the performance of the job)
| Military Service|
- If you have been in the military, were you honorably discharged?
- In what branch of the Armed Forces did you serve?
- What type of training or education did you receive in the military?
If you have questions about Interviews please contact us.