Resumes can be very tricky. Check out the following guide and look at some of our tips below.
Resume Writing Guide www.students.vcu.edu/careers/docs/ResumeWritingGuidelines.pdf Tips
If you would like to have your resume reviewed or have questions, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org and put "Resume Review" in the subject line. It will take up to three to four days to get feedback.
Name and Contact Information
- Do not have a vulgar email address name. Nothing like hotbabe@ $$$.com. If you have to sign up for a new email address than do it. Having your first and last name is acceptable.
- Your name should not be in any fancy fonts.
- Place the best method for an employer to contact you with. Remember if you change your email or phone number to update it.
- This should be short sweet and to the point.
- Do not overdue it by adding a lot of adjectives. You do not want to distract the reader.
- Remember to update your objective if you are looking for a different job and were specific.
- If you are in high school, do not forget to put down you experience in your extra-curricular activities.
- If you are in college, you should not put you high school experience down unless it is truly relevant to the job you are applying for. Once you become a Junior and Senior, you should only put high school information on your resume if you have no experience in college at all.
- Always have printed copies of your resume handy
- Have a cover letter and references
- Place your resume and cover letter in a black folder to give to employers. This will set you apart from other applicants.
- Use Ivory Resume Paper that is between 24lbs and 32ibs
- Use Times Roman or Arial Font