|Posted on March 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM|
Anne & Matt Harbison Scholarship
• $1,500 scholarship to one high school senior with a certified language-related learning difference who is pursuing post-secondary education
• Renewable for up to three additional, consecutive years
• Applications must be postmarked no later than March 31
• Nomination by a P. Buckley Moss Society member (brief letter from nominator stating relationship is optional).
• Verification of a language-related learning disability. Provide a letter (maximum two pages) from your case manager or counselor which details diagnostic information and progress. DO NOT SEND AN IEP.
• High school transcript.
• Two letters of recommendation, one from a faculty member at your school and the other from someone who knows you outside of the school setting (not from a relative).
• Essay responses to the following four questions (be specific and convincing):
1. Select three words that best describe you and provide evidence and examples of these qualities.
2. Explain your specific learning disability, how it has challenged you, specific strategies you have used to cope, and the effects it has had on your life.
3. Discuss your accomplishments in extra-curricular, community, work, church interests. Then focus on the one that’s of most importance to you, explain how you became involved in it, and tell how this involvement has affected you.
4. What are your plans for next year? What career do you hope to pursue? How would this scholarship benefit you?
WHAT SOCIETY MEMBERS CAN DO:
As a member of the Society, you yourself may know a deserving learning-different student; most often, however, you will need to contact special education teachers or guidance counselors at local high schools for their suggestions. Nominations for the Anne and Matt Harbison Scholarship can be made only by Society members, who then help to complete an application form in conjunction with the nomimated student and/or an educator in the community.
Applications and supportive information must be returned to the P. Buckley Moss Foundation by March 31. All materials for each nominee must be included in one mailing and will not be returned. All applicants will be notified of the results, and the winner each year will be publicly announced on June 1.
P. Buckley Moss Foundation, 152 P. Buckley Moss Drive, Wayesboro, Va 22980
To apply for this scholarship please go to: http://www.mosssociety.org/page.php?id=30