|Posted on March 26, 2013 at 10:20 AM|
The Diabetes Scholars Foundation Scholarship Program is available to incoming freshmen seeking a higher education at an accredited four year university, college, technical or trade school. This scholarship recognizes students who are actively involved in the diabetes community, who have high academic performance, who participate in community and/or extra-curricular activities and who have demonstrated that they are successfully managing the challenges of living with diabetes. Diabetes Scholars Foundation scholarships are not based on financial need.
THERE IS ONE GENERAL APPLICATION, APPLICANTS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING SCHOLARSHIPS THAT APPLY TO THEM.
The following scholarships will be awarded to students who are high school seniors and will be incoming freshmen in the fall and who have Type 1 diabetes:
• The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley College Scholarship (ten scholarships at $5,000 each) will be awarded to students that will be incoming freshmen with Type 1 diabetes,
• The Lilly Diabetes Tomorrow's Leaders Scholarship (eleven scholarships at $5,000 each, five scholarships at $4,000 each and five scholarships at $3,000) each will be awarded to students that will be incoming freshmen with Type 1 diabetes,
• At least five $5,000 scholarships will be awarded to students that will be incoming freshmen with Type 1 diabetes,
• The David's Diabetes Scholarship ($5,000) will be awarded to a student residing in South Carolina,
• The JDRF Rising Star Scholarship ($5,000) will be awarded to an incoming freshmen with Type 1 diabetes
• The Jay Franke Scholarship ($4,000) will be awarded to a student pursuing an Arts Degree (ie music, theater, dance),
• The Bradley D. Gendron Memorial Scholarship ($1,000) will be awarded to a student residing in Colorado,
• The Josh Smith Memorial Scholarship ($1,000) will be awarded to a student residing in Ohio,
• The JDRF Medical/Research Scholarship ($1,000) will be awarded to a student majoring in Healthcare,
• The JDRF Advocacy Scholarship ($1,000) will be awarded to a student majoring in Political Science,
• The JDRF Outreach Scholarship ($1,000) will be awarded to a student majoring in Mental Health (Psychology/Social Work),
• The Nicky Randazzo Memorial Scholarship ($1,000) will be awarded to a student majoring in Business,
• High School Seniors with Type 1 diabetes seeking a higher education at an accredited four year university, college, technical or trade school.
• U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
• Complete the Scholarship Application. Handwritten applications will NOT be accepted. Exception - Physician/Diabetes Educator and Teacher/Counselor recommendation may be handwritten. Application must be signed by the applicant.
• Complete the Checklist to be sure that all the information requested is complete. Mail the Checklist with the application.
• Application Package, including Letters of Recommendations, must be received in full by May 15, 2013. All information needs to be sent in one package. Incomplete packages will not be processed.
• Any questions can be directed to collegescholarships@DiabetesScholars.org .
• Applications will only be accepted via mail. NO electronic filing will be accepted.
• Applicants will be notified via email when their application is received.
• Letters of recommendations from Physician/CDE and Teacher/Counselor must be sealed in an envelope and signed by the writer across the seal.
• All fields must be completed. If a field is not applicable, enter N/A. Do not leave any fields blank.
• Each application will undergo an initial screening to ensure all criteria have been met.
• Completed applications will undergo a blinding process and sent to a review committee for evaluation.
• Each application will be scored using a grading grid.
• A selection committee will meet to award the scholarship.
• The winners of the 2013 scholarships will be telephoned by June 1, 2013. Those applicants not selected will not receive any other notification.
• Checks will be distributed directly to the school in July once it's been verified that the recipients have been accepted and registered to an accredited four year university, college, technical or trade school.
Complete application packages must be received by May 15, 2013. Mail to:
Diabetes Scholars Foundation
2118 Plum Grove Road
Rolling Meadows, IL 60008